Friday, March 7, 2014

Tweets, Trials and Trophies

I must admit to being a speed reader tweeter of the last few weeks. I jumped on the tweet mill a short time ago to see whether it was a social media that suited me. There appear to be two schools of thought about tweeting, you either hang around there all day, or you plan you tweets in advance with software that farms them at intervals for you.

As I like the option of dropping in once or twice a day and speed reading the tweets, I was compelled to open a link to a tweet about a cow in Ireland, that is set to enter the Guinness Book of Records, as the smallest cow in the world. Ella, is a 31inch cow that can fit under the kitchen table in the County Sligo home of her owner, Mr. Henry Judge. Click to read article

A few days later I came across a tweet about a judgement handed down by Judge Patrick Durcan in Ennis District Court to a Co. Clare farmers charged with cruelty to his animals. I have often been asked what happens in cases where farmers are charged with cruelty to animals. I've always been told that in such cases, and they are rare, that the farmer could loose his animals and face hefty financial penalties and/ or a prison sentence. In this case, the farmer received a 10 month suspended sentence. He was previously ordered to dispose of his herd. The Department of Agriculture Inspector provided evidence that the animals had a lack of water, feed and shelter during the harshest of winters. The judge that his 73 cattle be taken from him. Click to read article

It is rare that you see cases of farmers treating their animals cruelly in Ireland. The fact that the farmer lived near Kilrush, Co. Clare struck a chord, as I had memories of my grandfathers medal which he was  presented with in 1915 for his actions taken to protect a donkey being mistreated by a farmer, when he was member of the Royal Irish Constabulary... and yes, you guess it, he was stationed in Kilrush, Co. Clare.



I hasten to add, that the reason this tweet stuck out in my mind, was due to the fact that it's a very rare occasion that such cases ever come before the courts. And if any of you want to wander down in the beautiful limestone regions of Co. Clare make sure to drop us a line and take some photos of the beautiful healthy cattle.... but you'll have to head to Sligo to see the world's smallest cow.


No comments:

Post a Comment